[SECC] So, how was Dayton?

Tom Drake tbdrake at charter.net
Sun May 18 23:53:52 EDT 2003

Friday...WX was great.  Not too crowded inside or out.  If you wanted it,
the item was probably there. (except cheap coil stock)  ICOM has a new 7800
that will probably list for 8K  and sell for 5-6K.  Bargains galore on new
stuff otherwise.

Saturday...WX  was absolutely horrid.  Rained all day.  They moved it from
APR  to MAY to avoid cold and wet WX.  Hmmmmm....  Crowds were WAY down.
One could negotiate the entire inside with no difficulty.  That usually
isn't the case in the rain.  It appeared that many of the locals (within 100
miles)  may not have gone for the daytrip.  Suites were moderately attended
by 2200 Sat nite.

DX and Contest forums were packed.

No word on the potential loss of Hara Arena.  If they were to move to Indy
or Columbus,  there are adequate facilities in both places. Traffic isn't
really too bad.  At least not by Atlanta standards.  Cincinnati would be
another story.  One thing to consider:  the Dayton Police are tolerant of
the hams because of the large cash infusion that the Hamvention brings to
Dayton. Other towns might not be so understanding at first.

For those who haven't gone before,  the drive was 517 miles from Sharonville
to Sharpsburg and took just under 8 hours in Sunday's rain.

Overall, Dayton was good for me this year.

73,

Tom  W4XXV