[SECC] FW: [SEDXC] K4BAI Curacao trip - Nov 25 - Dec 2, 2003

Sherman Banks w4atl at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 24 20:22:12 EST 2003

Good luck John.  I'm sure you will have fun.  I hope you get this email in
time. I have been using Writelog exclusively for about 3 years.  I was using
NA before that.

WL is great, but you need to know how to set it up.  Once you do that, you
will like the ability to change font size and window location to suit your
taste.

http://www.k9jy.com/ is a great site to learn how to set WL up, if you have
Internet access down there.  If not, here are some things I do before a
contest.

In the writelog.ini file (do a search for it on your computer), check the
following:

1. Make AutoSaveCount= 20 or some number.  20 means it saves every 20 QSOs.
Otherwise the program keeps bugging you to save the log.
2. WL will automatically send a partial correction if you happen to change
the callsign in the entry window.  If you had rather send the whole
callsign, then set CwSendPartialCallCorrections=0.

Now, run WL.  The entry window will have entries for C and Country.  I guess
this is to make sure you have the right prefix and country name.  I always
remove these entries and let WL make that determination.  It's just one less
field to tab through.

1. Select Contest/exchange Format Setup
2. Check C on the left, then uncheck Prompt.  Hit Save,
3. Check Country on the left, then uncheck Prompt.  Hit Save.
(You have to make sure the other computers that you are networked with also
delete the C and Country entries.)

Now under setup you can change your entry window font.  I like mine a little
bigger (size 12 or 14.)
Also set up your CW messages (under Setup.)  When running, the INS key sends
the call and exchange (F10) and the + key enter the QSO in the log and sends
the F3 message.

That should get you started.  Use WL in DXPedition mode to get used to it
before the contest and work out the bugs.  GL es CU on the bands.