[SECC] Sept VHF

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 17 02:42:02 EDT 2003

On Saturday I picked up the Cushcraft 6 el beam from Ron, W4WA.  Some of the
hardware will need to be replaced and one side of D4 is broken.   I pulled
the 5 and 6 element from their web page as I thought I might try the 5 el
version on 1/2 of the boom but did not like the old equal spacing.  Does
anyone have more modern spacing for a 5 el 6 meter beam?  I like the 6 el
spacing but would have to rearrange the tower to put that up.

I did get on in the Sept ARRL VHF but unlike the June Party there was no e
skip so my 15 QSOs were all local or nearby Mountain contacts except for one
W1.  Its funny but several stations came in on bursts almost like meteor
scatter.  W2SZ and K1WHS were readable at times with bursts to S 7.  Several
others were heard one or twice including K1DG, W3DAG, N9NS, WB9Z, W4ZRZ, and
K8CC.  K8CC came in S9 for two transmissions and was called
and came back but disappeared never to be heard again.

Still using the little Comet 4 el on a 11 foot boom on my roof (10 feet
above) pointed NE.  I listened on the 40 meter beam which worked in June but
only W4ZRZ seemed to be better
S1 NE and S3 on the beam but the beacon in Conyers was S8 on the beam and
almost unreadable on the Comet.

73 Dave K4JRB