[SECC] This Weekend's Contests

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 2 16:51:58 EST 2004

1.  ARRL 160-Meter Contest.  22Z Fri to 16Z Sun.  160 CW only.
Exchange:  RST + ARRL/RAC Section (like SS). MM or AM stations send RST
+ ITU region.  Other DX send nothing but RST.
http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/1004/160-Meters.html.

2.  TARA RTTY Melee.  00Z - 24Z Sat.  80-10M.  Exchange:  RST + S/P for
US/Canada and RST + serial # for DX.
http://www/n2ty/org/seasons/tara_melee_rules.html.

3.  Waku Up QRP Sprint.  04 - 06 Z Sat.  40 and 20 M.  Exchange:  RST +
serial # + suffix of last station worked (start with "QRP".
http://ruqrp.narod.ru/sprint_e.htm.

4.  ARCI Holiday Spirits Homebrew Sprint.  20-24Z Sun.  160 - 10 M CW.
Exchange:  RST + SPC + QRPARCI member # or power output.  Bonus points
for homebrew gear and for portable stations on battery power.
http://2hams.net/ARCI/holiday%20spirits%20homebrew%20contest.htm.

Note:  QRP frequencies in US are generally around 1810, 3560, 7040,
14060, 21060 and 28060.  I understand European QRP stations use 7028 on
40 meters.

I did not list a couple of contest in which I have never heard any
activity, but you can find them on the SM3CER or WA7BNM webpages.

Hope everyone has a lot of fun and many QSOs this weekend.  I'll try to
get on in the 160 M contest some and also in some of the QRP contests.
Last night the QRPARCI had a 160M Sprint contest and I was able to work
only a few with 5 watts on that band.  I thought I had tuned up my end
fed wire arrangement through the MFJ tuner feeding the center conductor
of the 80 meter inverted vee.  Only figured out this morning that it was
the center conductor to my tribander.  Didn't notice the difference.
Worked 3E1A on first call for a new country on 160 and had a long
ragchew with VE3FGU.  Guess that shows what a poor antenna system I have
for that band when I don't even notice the difference when I hook up the
wrong antenna feedline.  Surprised that it resonated!

73,

John, K4BAI.