[SECC] 160M Contest

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 3 09:58:07 EST 2004

On CW, the only DX window is 1830 to 1835, supposedly reserved for
intercontinental QSOs.  I would not call CQ in that window.  I would not
answer any US station in that window unless it is in the middle of the
day and no DX could be worked by anyone who could hear you.  I do answer
other North and Central American and Caribbean DX stations if they are
working in the window and listening simplex.  You really don't have
control of that situation.  W8JI might disagree and the strictest
interpretation would be not to answer any NA station in the window
thereby forcing them to move for contacts in NA or to listen split.

CW stations will be QRV from 1800 to as high in the band as your antenna
will load probably.  I'd avoid frequencies used by SSB stations as a
courtesy to them.

73,

John, K4BAI.

P.S.  My recollection is that the contest does not enforce any DX window
or bandplan, so courtesy is what we are talking about, not disqualification.