[SECC] 160 Meter Contest

AE4Y ae4y at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 5 07:25:07 EST 2004

All last week, I kept telling myself that I had to get home early one
day and lengthen out my dipole so that I could work in the 160 meter
contest.  Well, it never happened.

Friday night, I came in here and decided to see if I could load up the
80 meter dipole with one of my tuners and at least hand out a few points
to stations here in the southeast.  I was amazed to find that the little
tuner in the Kenwood loaded it up with no problem at all.

I had learned from a previous and less than successful attempt at using
the 80 meter dipole on 160 that I needed to reduce the power or the
stray RF would set off the security system here in the house.  So I
cranked the power down to 70 watts and started working stations.

Here's my results:

    CallSign Used : AE4Y
             Band : ALL
            Power : LOW

         Band    QSOs    Pts  Sec
          1.8     200    400   46
        Total     200    400   46

            Score : 18,400

I didn't manage to work any DX, although I did hear one GW3, but I did
work the left coast (Oregon), and I only set off the alarm system once.

I guess I'll try to add some more wire for the upcoming CQ 160 contest
so that I can make sure that most of the RF goes out the antenna and not
back into my security system.

Kent, AE4Y