[SECC] Re: SECC Membership Application

AE4Y ae4y at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 27 08:21:42 EST 2004

WARNING:  This message contains boring programming stuff, but I wanted
everyone to know about the issues we're having with SECC web based
membership application and the solution that is in the works.

- - - - - - -

Believe it or not, the problem reported below aren't necessarily related
to how the web page is set up, but rather to the individual's browser
and e-mail client type and configuration.

The "mailto:" function that is configured into the membership
application form on the SECC web site is written properly.  I've
successfully tested it with both Windows Explorer/Outlook email client
software and the Netscape/Mozilla browser.  That said, I've never been
happy with it because it is subject to performing differently/oddly
based on other factors.

I've been working on a more reliable method using either Perl or PHP
scripts which utilize server applications to send the e-mails related to
the application form.  I was 99% there when I discovered a problem on
the web server that I can't fix.  I contacted the guy who is responsible
for the server itself at Contesting.com and he is aware of the issue,
but ran out of time to do anything about it before the holidays.

Hopefully, he can take a look at it this week or next and a permanent
and reliable fix will be possible for automatically e-mailing completed
  membership applications from the website.

I'll keep you posted as work progresses.

Kent, AE4Y