[SECC] February 2004 QST - Op-Ed piece

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Feb 10 19:10:16 EST 2004

After reading the title on page 98 of QST this month, I eagerly
anticipated reading the article. Here, I thought, is a collection of
tips on how to find an operating frequency during a phone contest. I
was thinking of operating, not avoiding, the contest.

Mr. Webb starts off by saying that we contestors and non-contestors
alike need to do more than point fingers. However, in the same sentence
he talks of contestors usurping the bands. In my dictionary, to usurp
is to take by force without authority. In other words, he's pointing a
finger squarely at the contestors, claiming they don't belong on the
bands.

Indeed, his proposal indicates exactly that thought -- suggesting we
ban contestors from a substantial portion of the HF bands. I fail to
see the balance in his proposal. Where, I ask, is the 200 kHz of
contest-only spectrum given in return?

Before we can have a constructive dialog between contestors and
non-contestors, each much acknowledge the legitimacy of the other's
operations. Mr. Webb has already passed judgement, seeing little worth
in contest operation.

Mr. Webb twice dismisses the value of the 30m, 17m and 12m bands, which
are contest free. Where, I ask, is the 200 kHz of bands which are
contest-only? Moreover, he completely skips over the 60m band, whose
channelized nature and propagation seem tailor-made for net operations.

While the phone bands are certainly filled to capacity during a major
contest, the solution isn't to ban contest activity. The solution is
for everyone to recognize the validity of each type of operation, and
to work with courtesy and cooperation to minimize QRM during this time.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901