[SECC] K4OJ

Robin Gist k4vu at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 13 15:32:03 EST 2004

i'm still stunned from the news.  i was just scanning through the ARRL 10M
log submissions and spotted his call.  it was cold and eerie to think of jim
as a silent key.

jim's indiscriminate enthusiasm seemed to affect everyone he encountered.  i
shared a room with him at the atlanta national convention in '86.  had never
met him before then (and hadn't seen him since), but the first thing i
noticed was that he was one of the more personable folks there.  walking
around the floor of the hamfest was an experience.  it was almost as if he
had never met a stranger in his life.  he seemed to know everyone, and was
very quick to introduce me to all of his chums.  i can still remember him
spotting john/k4bai, and in his best flip wilson impersonation, started
chanting 'here comes da judge!  here comes da judge!'.  one of the more
memorable experiences was later that night.  we (jim, myself, aa4ga, aa4nc
and n5ko) met up at a restaurant in atlanta.  trey's old beatup volkswagen
bug GPF'd on him in the middle of the parking lot.  as the patrons were
watching us push it to a parking space, jim was quick to ease the moment
with a 'i hope none of my friends from the club see me.'

i had just reconnected with him through email, and was recently in tampa
visiting my future in-laws.  i was planning on paying him a visit.  i deeply
regret that i let other things of lesser importance get in the way, because
i never made it over there.  i just figured that there would be 'another
time' in the near future.  i guess all who knew jim -- even from a casual
distance -- sincerely wishes that there could be 'another time' for a quick
visit with OJ.

73/robin/k4vu