[SECC] ARRLDX CW NJ8J SOAB LP

Ben Coleman nj8j at arrl.net
Mon Feb 23 00:26:06 EST 2004

~                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NJ8J
Operator(s): NJ8J
Station: NJ8J

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

- -------------------
~  160:
~   80:   13    13
~   40:   57    34
~   20:   11    10
~   15:
~   10:   32    19
- -------------------
Total:  113    76  Total Score = 25,764

I jumped in for a few hours to check out tlf (a Linux contest logger
similar to TR/CT).  It uses hamlib for rig control, and I've become the
maintainer for the Alinco DX-77T backend, so this was also for putting
my recent code changes to the backend to the test.  I'm aiming towards
having it ready for GQP.  Next I need to get a cable made up so I can
let the computer send CW instead of me banging it out on the straight
key (yeah, I'm still using a straight key - one of these days I'm going
to take some time to get used to paddles, but I haven't gotten around to
it yet).

This was my first time in ARRL DX  (surprisingly - I think I've managed
to put in at least a little time on most of the other major HF contests,
even back when I wasn't submitting contest logs.  The power-level
exchange for the DX was something new to me, and it took me a few
contacts watching tlf turn 'KW' into '0KW' to realize I needed to just
enter it as '1000' (I hope.  If not, I'm going to have a bunch of busted
exchanges when my logs go through the log-checker).

Is it my imagination, or when the contest starts, do the signals seem to
be packed especially tight?  Usually, I find that the 500Hz filter on my
poor Alinco deals fairly well with normal contest activity, but Friday
evening on 40 seemed to be especially packed.  Maybe I was more tired
than I realized or something, but I don't remember having as much
trouble with multiple signals in the passband as then.  When I tackled
40 on Saturday evening, it seemed to be more like what I usually expect.

Ben