[SECC] Computer Crash during NAQP SSB

Macie, Gordon GMacie at innotrac.com
Tue Jan 20 15:09:13 EST 2004

I have been meaning to write this up since the contest.. I was about 500
qso's into NAQP and the circuit breaker in the basement popped. Computer
goes dead. This has happened before with little or no resulting problem.
When the computer rebooted the scandisk took an unusually long time to cycle
through the drive , in fact it was at 28% so long I thought it was stuck. I
was about to ctrl-alt-del when it finally went to 29%. I knew this time was
different. When you haven't "saved" in writelog and you reboot it will
prompt you to load qso's that it has stored in the queue. I have seen this
work a few times and was expecting this. When I didn't get that message
prompt I knew I was in trouble.. I had just come off a 30 minute break and
didn't want to take more time off but this was worse than that. Not only did
I not get that choice but I didn't even have the log listed in the
selections when writelog first comes up. I had lost the whole log not just
the qso's since the last save. I was going to quit because it didn't make
any sense to have 500 qso's and no log. Since I had stopped operating I
started searching on the hard disk and found what was a bck of the log and
an adi file which was pretty small in the /writelog/programs directory . (I
had done a dir *.wl /s on c:\) My files are normally in /writelog/contest. I
copied these files over to the /contest directory , brought up writelog. It
prompted me to load qso's in the queue and then my log came up 100% in
tack.. Wow.. what a relief. It appears this queue is saved in an adi file.
The only thing I can think of is this is done for performance reasons. So
when you are in writelog open an explorer session and go to the /programs
directory and verify you have files with the same name as your log.. I
haven't double checked it. My fat table was scrambled. I am actually leaving
out a couple of details to save confusion.

Gordon N4LR