[SECC] The ARRL's answer to the code/no-code debate

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Thu Jan 22 13:54:09 EST 2004

On 22 Jan 2004 at 12:21, Daniel Jeswald wrote:

> OK,  send a note to him and tell us how he voted.

Butler and I have communicated in the past...and when I
last tried to exchange emails with him, he decided to
ignore me.

Let's just say we don't see eye-to-eye.  His voting record
is in the ARRL BOD minutes.  The ARRL is not interested in
anything other than numbers (read $), which I understand,
but I feel like I'm getting screwed in the process.

I looked into recall several years ago when he made me mad,
but in order to have a recall election, there must be a
recall petition with 10% of the number of voters in the
previous election signing on....if I remember correctly, it
would have taken 150 - 200 folks on the petition.  BUT, if
the director was unopposed, like Butler, it would take 10%
of the number of members in the Division to sign a recall
petition.  The SE Division has more members than any other,
due to all the retired folks in Florida I guess.  The
number of names required on the petition ballooned to
several thousand.

I considered running against him just to reduce the number
of recall petition signatures for the next time he did
something stupid, but was afraid I might get elected...and
unfortunately, I don't have the time, resources, or
especially the desire to become seriously involved in ARRL
politics.

I don't get worked up over it any more...pretty much
whatever they want is what they're going to get.

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia