[SECC] 6 Meter Opening on Tuesday

Daniel Jeswald w4nti at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 8 15:18:55 EDT 2004

You hit a great E skip opening.   It would likely make a fine spot for VHF
even if the band was dead.

Dan/W4NTI

also spent a couple days on the way back in the Smoky Mountains.

>   I had an interesting experience on Tuesday night. We drove up to
Clingmans Dome, which at 6200 ft is the 2nd highest point on the East coast
behind Mt Rogers , in VA. I brought the IC706MKIIG along with a 6 meter
Hustler mobile whip. I have been up to the mountain several times but the
bands were always dead and about all I ever heard as far as DX were the NWS
stations as far away as Nashville and Atlanta.

>    On Tuesday night the 6 meter band was wide open to the east coast and
midwest. This was about the most intense opening I have experienced since I
> starting operating on 6 a few years ago. It was also neat to work what I
think what was ground wave to other parts of TN and down into GA.  With the
simple antenna I was using I was able to generate pileups when calling CQ.
Too bad I didn't have a 2 meter antenna since I found out later that it was
open with some E skip as well. I guess I will have to put a 2 meter halo on
the shopping list !!!  This might be a neat place to checkout for the next
VHF contest ???