[SECC] Flight of Bumblebees Contest Next Weekend

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 19 10:08:21 EDT 2004

The Flight of the Bumblebees QRP contest will be next Sunday.  It will
be after the IOTA, so maybe Jeff and I will be QRV as KU8E/M if we are
not totally wiped out from the IOTA contest.  This can be a fun contest.
  Turn down your rigs to 5 watts or get out your QRP rig and have some
fun Sunday.  73, John, K4BAI.

The "Flight of the Bumblebees" is next weekend.

The "Flight of the Bumblebees" is a QRP CW contest held every year on
the last
Sunday of July. Those that want to be "Bees" agree to reach their operating
sites by human power (hiking, biking, canoeing and kayaking). On Sunday,
masses
of home-based operators chase the Bees. A popular, exciting contest!
Complete
rules are at:
http://www.arsqrp.com/ars/pages/bumblebees/bb_rules.html

Day and Times
Sunday July 25 -
   10 am to 2 pm PDT
   11 am to 3 pm MDT
   12 noon to 4 pm CDT
   1 pm to 5 pm EDT
   1700 to 2100 UTC.

Exchange
Bees -
RST, state/province/country, and your Bumblebee number
Home stations -
RST, state/province/country, and your power

Scoring -
Total QSOs times # of Bees times three.  If you had 10 QSOs on 40 meters
and 5
QSOs on 20 meters and worked 7 Bees on 40 and 3 Bees on 20 your score
would be:
15 total QSOs times 10 total Bees times 3 = 450 points

How to Count Bee Multipliers
The autolog at asks for your "Total Number of Bee Contacts".  Thus, if you
worked AA8XX/BB on 40 meters and again on 20 meters, that counts as 2 Bee
contacts.

Get a Bee Number
If you plan to operate portable, you will need a Bee number.  Bee
numbers are
available through Friday by emailing a request to hjohnc at core.com.
Include your
callsign in your request.

Bee List
As of this writing, we have over 185 Bees who plan to operate portable
for the
contest.  You can view the latest list of Bees at
http://www.arsqrp.com/ars/pages/bumblebees/2004bb_roster.html

Bands
As this is a daytime contest, there are no points for 80 meter activity,
just
40, 20, 15, and 10 meter QSOs count.

Single Band Entries
There will be special recognition for single band entries.  Single band
winners
will be listed in the results.

Pictures and Stories
We need your stories and Bumblebee pictures for the results and
Sojourner.  From
those submissions we will choose winners for:
   Most interesting equipment,
   Most outrageous venture, and
   Most beautiful site.
You can put your stories in your Soapbox comments or email longer
stories and
pictures to
aa4xx at bellsouth.net

Safety First!
This is a fun event, let's be careful out there.

Awards -
Top Bees
Top Home Stations
Top Single Banders

Reporting Your Score
Please use the autolog at http://www.arsqrp.com/ars/bb_log.html
If for some reason that doesn't work for you, please email me at
hjohnc at core.com
so we can get your results.

Any Questions?
Questions to hjohnc at core.com