[SECC] KU8E/P IOTA Expedition, etc.

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 26 14:17:56 EDT 2004

Hello all:

Below you will find a short summary of the IOTA trip to St. George
Island done by KU8E and K4BAI this weekend.  Sorry we didn't work any of
you.  Hope to hear from Jerry that the St. Simons Island expedition went
better.  We did hear KA1DWX while we were not QRV to transmit ourselves.
Hope many of you found a few interesting QSOs when radio propagation and
local storms permitted.  We had quite a wind and thunderstorm at home
about 10:30 PM Saturday night, but no damage except to tree limbs.

I will be holding court in Thomasville Tuesday and Wednesday and will
not have e-mail until Thursday morning.  So, please submit your claimed
scores from this past weekend by Wednesday night and I'll try to
summarize them Thursday.  I already have KU8E, N4GG, and K4AQ for IOTA
and K4AQ for Bumblebee QRP Sprint.

Have a good week.  73, John, K4BAI.

                     IOTA Contest

Call: KU8E/P
Operator(s): KU8E, K4BAI
Station: KU8E/P

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: NA085
Operating Time (hrs): 8.1

    80:    0       0        0       0
    40:    0       0        0       0
    20:  194      19        8       2
    15:   14       3       16       6
    10:    0       0        0       0
Total:  208      22       16       6  Total Score = 30,240

Our "field day style" expedition to the Florida State Park camp ground
on St.
George Island, Florida (the island normally activated by N4PN, who was
away this
weekend) was a disaster, at least from the score standpoint.  We had
planned a
M/S with two operators, two rigs, and multiple antennas.  We were unable
to get
into the campground until the contest started, so got a late start.  The
heat
and humidity were terrific.  The push up pole to support the center of
the zepp
broke.  The mobile antennas on the car were hard to tune and we were
unable to
use the tri-mount for quick QSY.  The 40-meter antenna was never
installed and
we never got the second rig QRV.  Band conditions were terrible.  About
4 PM, a
lightning storm hit.  The power went off right in the middle of a QSO
with K0DEQ
(sorry, Bill!).  About 7 PM, it was soon to be getting dark and there was no
sign of the power returning.  It was out on the whole island.  We packed
up and
left the campsite.  We did make some more contacts on 20 meters CW from
the car,
but there was very little North American activity and the band was
pretty much
closed for DX.  We hadn't brought a 40-meter mobile antenna.  The power
finally
returned to the island about 10 PM, but we didn't try to get back on the air
after that.  Our 24-hour ambitions resulted in about 8.1 hours of
operation and
only 224 QSOs.  The drive from our homes was approaching 6 hours each way.
Don't know that we will want to do this contest again except from a high
power
island station with big antennas already installed unless it somehow
achieves
more popularity in North American.  We appreciate the QSOs we did have
and KU8E
will answer the cards as they are received.  73, John, K4BAI.

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/