[SECC] ARRL Sweepstakes

Jay Pryor jpryor at uga.edu
Mon Jun 7 11:27:27 EDT 2004

At 11:13 AM 6/7/2004, John Laney wrote:
>Hi Tom:  I've always tried to work within my local club, even thought it
>is usually very much like the Valdosta club you mentioned.  Don't they
>need a good CW op for FD down there?  After all, CW QSOs count twice as
>many points as do SSB QSOs.
>
>I think your strategy for CW SS is basically sound.  I usually try to
>start at the beginning and go until the rate really drops and then get
>some sleep.  I haven't found Sunday to be very productive as early as 5
>AM.  Probably more like 6 or 7 to start again.  I usually go right through
>the middle of the day in spite of low rates, because my experience had
>been that the rate really drops at the end and all I can find is other
>guys calling CQs with no answers.
>
>W4AN felt that it was best to do half hours off and on and to save that
>last hour or so for operating on the theory that a lot of guys may get on
>late for great runs right at the end when they haven't been on earlier.  I
>always find a few of those guys, but not enough to make up for no answers
>to most CQs toward the end.  I may find it will be different with SO2R
>capability (which I have now for QRP and hope to have for QRO by November).
>
>Unfortunately, we are a long way away from big population areas, but not
>quite far enough away for good skip on 20, 15 and 10 to those areas.  So
>we don't do so well in SS in the middle of the day on 40, but don't do so
>well on the higher bands either.  And sometimes, 80 seems a waste from
>this far south, but I still spend a lot of time there after 40 goes long.

Bill thought it was important to work the casual guys/gals who get in the
SS just to make a few QSOs; thus his recommendation to take half hour
breaks.  Like many contests, most of the full effort contesters will work
most of the full effort contesters.  It's the other guys you work who make
the difference.  He also said that in the SS you should be on the band that
gives you the best opening to the 8 and 9 call areas.

73,

Jay, K4OGG