[SECC] ARRL Sweepstakes

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Jun 7 22:33:47 EDT 2004

On Jun 7, 2004, at 9:06 AM, <ku8e at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have found it to be  a waste of time to CQ on 80 meters from this
> far south unless if you are running HP and have a good antenna on 80
> meters. Your rate should be much better on 40 as LP because the high
> population areas - east Coast, W8.W9, W0 (especially all the activity
> from
> MN now)are in our skip zone....

To add to some of this good advice. W4AN used to say that if you're not
working 8-9 land in SS, you're on the wrong band.

In SS Phone 40m isn't as useful, because of all the SWBC QRM. Both
W4ATL and I have found 80m late a night to bring better rates than 40m
on SSB with Low Power. Sometimes they just keep calling and calling.

But 20m is the money band, unless propagation never goes short. If 40m
goes long early, 80m might be worth a shot. Back to the W4AN rule
above.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901