[SECC] KU8E - June VHF Contest Plans

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 9 14:08:06 EDT 2004

  Hi All...

   I had planned on going rovering up to the north GA/NC mountains for the VHF contest. K9NW was thinking of coming down to GA and we were going to go out on a mountain somewhere but that fell through. K4BAI was also interested but he has been getting over a cold and he can't make it either. I had also talked to
AA4GA, but he has to work... Oh well ...

  I have been doing some research on antennas and the most popular choice out there , for rovering , seem to be halo loops - either a single one per band or stacked. I had been planning on maybe stopping at HRO on our way and picking one of these up for both 2 and 432. Problem is that the M2 version doesn't seem to have a good review. Those who have them have mentioned they get detuned when it rains. Also,they are not has well built as the KB6KQ loops. I was thinking of building some but just don't have the time during the week.... I decided just to hold off on buying these now and maybe order the KB6KQ loops and do it right for next time.

 I have decided to go with plan B....  Since moving to Georgia a couple years ago we haven't had a chance to check out the Gulf coast of Florida, even though it is just a few hours from the present QTH.  I figure if 6 meters opens up - I could really have some fun with a simple antenna. Plus , while I am playing radio the family can have some fun at the beach !!!

 The plan is to play around on 6 meters. I have a Hustler 6 meter whip that I picked up last weekend at the Atlanta hamfest. I can use this when we are in motion . I am also packing the DK9SQ mast with my full size 6 meter loop on it and I can crank it up to 30 ft, when we stop somewhere. So I will have a "real"
antenna too. The rig will be the IC706MKIIG, running 100 watts.

 We plan to depart sometime Saturday morning and will probably activate the following grid squares - EM72, EM71, EM70, EM60 and EL79. N4PN's contest station on St George Island is in EL79, but I am not sure if he does 6 meters.

Hopefully I can experience an 6 meter E's opening at its best. I have always dreamed of being on the other end of one of those openings up north, which I have in short spurts from the home QTH. I probably would be even better the further south I go... HI...

                           73, Jeff  KU8E