[SECC] Tips on getting used to iambic paddle?

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Wed Jun 30 23:58:30 EDT 2004

Ben,

I also went directly from straight key to paddle "late in life" -- when I
started contesting in 1986 after already being licensed for 25 years.  AND,
I intentionally learned to send left-handed (I'm right-handed) after
observing a fellow contester's shack setup that had everything but the AF
and RF gain operated by his right hand -- tuning knob, band change, RIT, amp
tuning, antenna switch, keyer paddle, paper logging...

Boy was I lousy for a while!  I started by doing at least ten sessions of
10-15 minutes just sending text from QST and making a few QRS contacts, then
things began to get better. Today, I still stumble a lot if  I don't get
enough practice -- If I don't operate much between contests, it helps a lot
to put in a couple practice sessions just before the next one.

Finally, once I learned to send left-handed, I was surprised to discover I
could also send right-handed (mirror-image), although not quite as well.

73, Gary
K9AY

---------

Subject: [SECC] Tips on getting used to iambic paddle?