[SECC] New 160 Antenna up finally

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon May 24 01:26:32 EDT 2004

I finally got my MULTEE up for 160.  The lengths in the ARRL Antenna Book
and the older Editors and Engineers Handbook edited by W6SAI were for the
upper portion of 160.  I found that it was best at 1912 with a value of 9.5
ohms.  The correct length for 1840 was empirically found to be 63 feet
rather than 52'.  I left the flat top alone at 70' (35 feet on a side).  I
quickly put two elevated radials (at 15 feet) and added a line isolator
balun and found the frequency was 1850.4 Khz at 11 ohms.  I want to add 2
more radials.  I use Spi-Ro coils so each radial is only 50 feet for a
radial that sees 1840 according to my MFJ 259B.

I have the wire but need some better terminal lugs.  Each Spi-ro coil has a
screw at each end.  I want a lug that has a way to make a good electrically
connection before soldering.  The ones I find at Home Depot and Ace Hardware
have barrel connectors that don't crimp very well.  What ever happened to
the lugs with double crimp connections instead of the wimpy barrels.  I have
been using ones I got from Barry Electronics 25 years ago and am now out.  I
need 6 with double crimp connections and round head that will fit over 8x32
bolts.

When I was ready to test my friend PY3CEJ was there at 0145Z and he said I
was 59+10 with 100 watts.  I heard ZP6CW but he was only 4/4 (and readable
only on the K9AY loop).  I could hear the PY on the MULTEE over all the QRN
100%.  A W5 and a K9 in Florida called after the PY3 called CQ again but no
further QSOs.

73 Dave K4JRB