Cebik antenna and other short limited space dipole antennas (was: RE: Re: [SECC] K4OGG, CWSS)

Matt Lee, K4AQ Matt at HiWAAY.net
Mon Nov 8 20:26:39 EST 2004

Here is W8JI's take on the noted subject:

   http://www.w8ji.com/short_dipoles_and_problems.htm

Some key points:

"While pattern looks excellent on higher bands, lowest band performance
of a short dipole (in this case 88 feet long on 80 meters or 44 feet
long on 40) certainly leaves a great deal to be desired when feedline
and tuner losses are included. It isn't the efficiency of the antenna
that is in question, it is feedline efficiency and high voltages in the
matching system that become problems.

"Short dipoles and verticals will almost always model with very good
efficiency,  because a model is a perfect lossless system if we do not
include feedline losses and matching losses.

".... (It makes very little difference by the way if the balun is on the
tuner input. Don't think moving a current or choke balun to the input of
a tuner is a solution. The balun is under the same common mode
stresses.)

"The lower limit in size of a multiband dipole, before feed system and
matching losses  move to the edge of severe problems, is about 200 feet
on 160 meters, 100 feet on 80 meters, 50 feet on 40 meters, and so on.

"A good rule of thumb is to multiply  the band in meters by 1.25. The
result is the minimum dipole length you can use without using a good
matching system in, at, or near the antenna!

"As an antenna is shortened from that length, losses in the feed system
(even what Hams consider a  good one) climb rapidly. 88 feet is just too
short for an 80 meters antenna, because...it is at the limit of what
most tuners will match. It also places most tuners at their power limit
at a few hundred watts of applied power.

(Take heed of the above paragraph if you are running HP! --Matt, K4AQ)

"The optimum length for a multiband dipole is near 1/2 wl on the LOWEST
band, and the optimum open-wire feedline length is any odd multiple of
1/8th wavelength on the lowest band. This means an optimum 80-meter
dipole would be about 125ft long, and the feedline would be 25-30ft,
75-90ft, or 125-150ft long. The longer the feeder, the more likely you
are to having to trim it for optimum tuner performance.

"Most tuners like to see impedances HIGHER than 50 ohms, and inductive
loads at low impedances. Pi's and L's are NOT a solution to matching
problems. They actually are significantly more restricted in matching
range than a conventional T using the same general style and quality
components."

--
Matt Lee, K4AQ
Atlanta, GA USA