[SECC] Sweepstakes

Lewis Frederick Dennin II fdennin at numail.org
Mon Nov 22 13:07:00 EST 2004

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: WW4LL
Operator(s): WW4LL, KU8E, W4BW, K9MUG, K4ZJ
Station: WW4LL

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:    0
   80:   38
   40:  898
   20:  400
   15:   66
   10:   38
------------

Operators here did a great job for an effort that was put together at the
last minute and hampered by "Murphy".  Just before contest start time had
computer problems, problems with new Heil noise cancelling headsets (one
slide switch bad with phasing), lost amp for short period of time, and
late in contest lost tuner for unknown reason at this time.

Learned more as we always try to do with each of these endeavors.  Should
have heeded the advice of my friend and mentor (N4GG) with a strategy
error that I made at 4am.  40 meters was incredible all night with
repeated 100 plus hours.

After 12 hours of operating at 4am, I decided to shut down for a break and
we were still running 50 to 60 Qs per hour.  Bad mistake and my
responsibility.  I should have waited until the rate dropped more.  "Bird
in the hand" kind of philosophy.

Got sweep at 3:30 am with NNY which was our first Q on 80 meters.  Had 40
mults in the first two hours.

Congratulations to our SECC single op friends (N4LR & NA4BW) who kicked our
multi-single butts and our W5DDX (NN4RR & K1DW) multi-single friends who
did so as well.

I've already been to HRO and traded out the new Heil noise cancelling
headsets for two new ones.  Got to address the amp & tuner failure yet. We
have other station design issues to address and I'm always thankful that
we do a "lessons learned" kind of thing to see where we can improve both
with the station and as a team of operators.

I didn't post this on the 3830 reflector but as we worked one multi single
station, we could clearly hear his other station in the background calling
CQ as we the run op was stumbling with the exchange.  There's been a lot
on the CQ reflector recently about cheating and I've avoided engaging in
that discussion, but this was blatant and identifiable.  At least one
other op has already posted on the CQ reflector, hearing the same thing
this weekend.

Many thanks to everyone who participated, as it was a lot of fun and the
comradery was great.  Happy that we worked so many SECC guys and the
support is appreciated.  Hopefully, some of you will join us one day in
our next mult single effort.

73'.......Fred WW4LL