[SECC] qrm

Macie, Gordon GMacie at innotrac.com
Mon Nov 22 13:51:23 EST 2004

The below is from K4XS... I was also qrm'ed by the N4BP tape on 20 meters. I
sent a private reply to k4xs

I was also qrm'd by cw on 40 and some kind of weird changing tones. Dont
remember what band. I tried to be polite beyond the call of duty. I moved
slightly up or down a couple of times. I have found if you leave someone
will take over and the complainer with be in the same boat or worse. If the
complainer presented themselves as reasonable I would try. Even turned off
the processor on one request and left it off while on that band, though I
only had 10 db of compresson and alc looked fine. I was only driving the
rig/ amp at about 50% power at the time. Just life contesting.

Gordon N4LR

My best and worst SS ever.

After finishing number two last year, I was cranked up and ready to tackle
WP3R.
 I had busted my butt putting the station back together after the hurricanes
and
had done lots of research into my past efforts.

I concluded that, for me, the best place to begin was on 20 and was hoping
for a
150+ hour.  I sat down around 14250 and began warming up the frequency.
Everything was cool...clear as a bell frequency and well clear of the SSTV
guys.
Started with 45 QSOs in 17 minutes, and then....."you're 20 Khz
wide"...."you
God...m contesters think you can do anything you want". After which I was
treated to endless overmodulated recordings of K4BP calling CQ at 30 over 9.
It
was impossible to work anyone through this guy.  I moved several times and
did
all the things we do to work through this crap..not acknowledging him,
"phantom
QSOs" swing the beams away etc.  You veterans know what I am talking about.
Unfortunately, the SOB was in the primary area of skip, the Midwest and even
with the beams facing away it was almost impossible to work anyone.

I watched the rate on CT drop from around 185 to 70 or so and saw no way to
get
it back up.  Twenty is our money band at this part of the cycle and 15 had
already gone long, making the east coast "cannon fodder" for the W6 guys.
After
QSYing for the fourth time and having the jerk follow me, I said screw it
and
shut it down, feeling very funky.

The next day the XYL got on as K4XSS and I Elmered her through the pileups
that
came on Sunday afternoon when you are fresh meat.  Nary a bit of intentional
QRM
on her even though it was the same time of day and the same freq I had been
on
the day before.

So, just for fun, I decided to get back in the chair and give it a go under
my
call.  The rate on CT was approaching 200 when my friend came back and
screwed
with me.  I had the XYL get back on with her call....no problem with the
idiot.

I finally got back on and for about an hour and a half proceeded to have my
best
runs in any SS.  I had the machine up to 239 at one point and wound up with
180 clock hour.

Something has to be done about this crap with the intentional QRM.  So far,
have talked to W4ZW, NF4A, N4GI, N4BP, all with pretty good-sized stations
and
all of them experienced the same crap.  Judging from the propagatgion we had
and
my beam headings, this pinhead is definitely up in the midwest...W8, W9,
possibly a western W3.

If anyone has any info on the guy, or if he screwed with you in the contest
playing either N4BP or K4BP's CQs let me know the particulars, including
thoughts as to his location.

Thanks for reading my rants and raves.  Those of you who have been through
this
understand how P.O.ed I am.

Bill K4XS