[SECC] W/VE Island QSO party

Michael Condon ne4s at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 09:25:15 EDT 2004

The propagation was pretty good this weekend, for the W/VE Islands QSO party.  I operated K4USI from 4 local islands, all were "drive on", with bridges or causeway access.  3 Islands were in Lanier, one in Alatoona.

The score is not done yet, but will probably be near 15K (or more!) from 573 Q's, all SSB.  I will put in a short note on final tabulation.

LY3BA was worked from all islands, several other stations also called in as I moved locations.  Thanks Gedimas.  Many EU, some AF, and one VK were logged, as were all states except HI.

TI8M called from the contest location.  They sounded like were "down the beach", 9++.
WW4LL was the op, they seem ready for the big contest.

I got the linear working from the truck and ran about 400W for this event, which is loafing for the 1000W rig.  It ran cool and without incident.  I did have to add a choke to the base of the hamstick to keep the laptop from restetting when it's battery got low.

Next projects will be to get an antenna that will take the power, and get some much better grounding in place.  Also a noise free power supply for the Laptop is needed.  The inverter used for it's power makes hash in the radio.  Since it needs 19V, I will probably just get a big 6V battery, charge it, and put in in series with the 12V from the truck.  The laptop is quiet by itself.

I hope a better antenna makes for better RX, as I missed a lot of Q's from weak signals.

All of this should be done in time for the GQP!!  Rover HiPower, SSB 20M, this could be fun..!

Take my vote FOR the ammendment too.

73,
Mike, NE4S/K4USI

Remember to change my Email to: