A long post about the SECC...was: Re: [SECC]

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Sep 3 20:50:14 EDT 2004

On Sep 3, 2004, at 10:30 AM, <ku8e at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>  No disrespect for W4AN, but I don't know if I really personally care
> for the "internet only club idea" anyway. Only reason I joined SECC is
> that it was the only club down here interested in contesting. Maybe we
> need to "re think" this whole concept ?? Is there an interest in
> changing ??

Changing is the wrong word. Enhance, yes, I think enhancing the
internet club is a good idea.

>  I am not proposing that we have formal meetings, meeting requirements
> or even
> a demand that you operate so many contests or you will be kicked out
> of the club.

Indeed.

> What I am proposing is that are membership maybe think about having
> activities that promote camaraderie in the club. This could include
> rallying around a specific contest and set a goal to win the club
> competition or have a social event such as a club FD and picnic,
> social meeting etc....

Sounds great.

> Maybe my comments are out of line being on of the new people on the
> block down here as far as contesting...  My idea of having a club is
> to promote
> camaraderie about contesting and socialize with people who have the
> same interest. If everyone just wants to stay at the Status Quo and
> leave it the way it is that's fine... But I will probably not be part
> of it...

Jeff, you were doing great right up to the "take my ball and go home"
line.... <grin>

There's no reason we can't do any of these things. I've never been in a
"big" contest club like MRRC or PVRC, and I suspect the vast majority
of our members never have, either. These are good ideas to invigorate
the club. What we need is someone to organize and schedule them.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901