A long post about the SECC...was: Re: [SECC]

Sherman Banks w4atl at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 4 07:37:42 EDT 2004

I enjoy meeting Hams in person.  KU8E, K4OGG and I met for an informal SECC
lunch one Saturday.  After lunch, we went over to K4OGG's house and I picked
up some antenna tips by looking at the construction of the 160M antenna he
uses for contests.  I ended up building one like his and it dramatically
improved my 160M contest score.  That is something I could not do on the
Internet.

I see nothing wrong with occassional informal meetings for those who wish to
get together and I would love to participate.

K4BAI wrote:
> Those who want in-person meetings and social events should consider also
> joining the Southeastern DX Club.

I agree.  This club has improved since I first tried to join in the early
90s.  New members are more welcome than they used to be.  And the emphasis
is in HF operating.  They try to have programs related to operating or
DXPeditions.  You will find several SECCers go to the SEDXC meeting.  And a
lot of operating discussion occurs at Panera Bread before the meeting.

Bottom Line: Those who wish to get together need to get together!  Those
that don't want to participate stay home and operate Ham Radio!  The
activity has to be fun for you - after all, this is a hobby.