A long post about the SECC...was: Re: [SECC]

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sat Sep 4 09:44:51 EDT 2004

On Sep 4, 2004, at 1:57 AM, Lee Hiers wrote:

> On 3 Sep 2004 at 20:37, Bill Coleman wrote:
>
>> The purpose of the SECC is to promote contesting. We're not just
>> supposed to report scores, we're supposed to actively recruit and
>> create new contesters. That's how we get sufficient density to support
>> a 'traditional' club.
>
> Not unless you can increase the population density as well.
>  If your definition of promoting contesting (as the purpose
> of SECC) is recruitment on non-contestors, I
> disagree...while I do like to see more potential QSOs
> available, that's not SECC's purpose.

 From the by-laws:
"It shall be our purpose to further the exchange of information and
cooperation between members, to promote contesting knowledge,
fraternalism and individual/team operating efficiency, and to conduct
club programs and activities to advance the general interest and
welfare of Amateur Radio Contesting in the community."

>> There's no ARRL requirement, but there may be a human requirement.
>
> Certainly not in my case.

Lee, that may be the case for you and for several others, but I don't
think it is universal.

> Well, first I don't think there should be such a rule.  I'm
> all for keeping "dead wood" on the roster that may only
> submit a score once every three years.  That way their
> points go in the aggregate, otherwise we get nothing.

Maybe so. Of course, there are folks who have moved out of the circle
without informing us, who can't really contribute scores now anyway.

> If my career plans go as I hope, I will probably become
> dead wood myself, instead of the dying wood that I am now.
> If all goes well, I hope to be working most weekends, which
> will mean I will possibly miss even more contests than I do
> now.

I know what that's like.

> Again, recruitment isn't the purpose.  But if you want to
> get more out of it, go ahead and take the initiative, don't
> try to force it upon those of us who signed on based on the
> original intent.

I don't see any evidence of anyone "forcing" anything on anyone else.
Just people asking for something more than we've been providing. It's a
desire to enhance the club, not alter it.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901