[SECC]

Daniel Jeswald w4nti at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 4 21:05:44 EDT 2004

Well Jeff at the possibility of making you ill I want to try and help you
understand how things are in the South.  I can expound on these thoughts
because I too am a transplant from the North... NE Ohio in particular.

The first thing I was learned,  notice I did not use the correct
word...taught, was that there were TWO THINGS you MUST DO upon planting
yourself in Southern soil.

1.  PICK A FOOTBALL TEAM,  and STICK WITH IT NO MATTER WHAT.
     I chose the University of Alabama....ROLL TIDE.

2.  And the MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL IS THIS;

     DON'T TRY TO CHANGE NUTTIN.

You will find that the Southerners tolerate Yankees.  But ONLY to a point.
The (somewhat) jokingly comments of  'Once a Yankee, always a Yankee',  or
the classic.....what's the difference between a Yankee, and a D&#M Yankee
???    The D*#M yankee stayed.......is not necessarily a joke.  After you
have been here a couple of decades and have started to roll your words and
have picked up a 'bit' of a twang will you be mostly accepted.  But
remember that is ONLY if you religiously follow 1 and 2 above.

Hope this helps a bit.......but remember.....once a Yankee....always a
Yankee.  Ya just cain't change where you be born at, ya no?

This was presented in tongue and cheek style....or was it?

Yankee born,  Southern by choice  (as long as they let me stay that is)

Dan/W4NTI  ex K8BHH and a few more DX calls.

club meeting, on the reflector, or even submit a score for SECC. Maybe
someone who has time can do some analysis on the ARRL contest website to
see who has been submitting scores.

>  I have to admit I am very disappointed with my experience with SECC so
far, since I have moved here from Ohio. I have made a few new contesting
friends but that's about it. I miss the social events (meetings) that were
part of belonging to the Mad River Radio club.

>  I have actually become kind of apathic toward expending my energy
torwards doing things such as updating the web page or even doing a FT
effort in a contest and submitting my score for SECC. I have a limited
amount of time , for radio, because I have a young family I am raising. Why
waste my time if no one even cares. I am at the point now that I would
probably just give up running the GQP if someone else in the club wanted to
run it, but I don't think there is anyone else in the club that wants to do
it.