[SECC] Answers

Roger Hackler rhackler at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 6 08:34:19 EDT 2004

1.  What got you interested in ham Radio?

When I was in the 7th Grade in 1973, there was a copy of QST in the school
library in Stow Ohio just laying out on a table.  Not being extremely
interested in doing whatever I was supposed to be doing, I picked it up and
started reading.  That was it. I was hooked from that point on.  I grew up
in very rural (read they had to pipe sunlight in) southwestern Virginia, and
had never heard of amateur radio, so this was truly an amazing discovery!
Maybe this move to the big city wasn't too bad after all!  Then I realized
what that tower with all of the antennas on it at my neighbors house was!
Hey, this is getting better!  Unfortunately, we moved (again) and I didn't
get a chance to take the novice test back then, but I was hooked.  I would
spend the next 18 years thinking about it and vowing that one day I would
get my ticket.  Finally, in 1992 after returning from Desert Storm, I took
the tech plus code and was KD4FYT.

2.  What is your favorite mode and why?

That's a tough one.  I like lots of different modes.  I guess RTTY is one of
my favorites.  I have never been a great CW op, but over the last year I've
gotten better and better.  Practice does make better!  I operate phone, CW,
RTTY, PSK31, SSTV, and what ever else strikes my fancy.

3. What got you interested in contesting?

Contesting just started out as a way to add to my country count or state
count.  in 1993 I was stationed in Korea, and held the call HL9AXT.  10 was
in OK shape and it was fun, and I upgraded to Advanced and received my
current call and HL9AX.  That's when the fun Began.  My old buddy Harry
(W6HH, HL9HH) and Kent (HL9OB) asked me to work CQWW Phone with them.  It
was an absolute ball.  I was hooked.  I was fortunate enough to win 1st
place in HL in the 1993 10 meter test, and 1st place in HL in the 1993 CQWW
RTTY test.  Not much competition, but it was more fun than I can even
describe.

4. What is your favorite contest and why?

I would have to say it's between CQWW RTTY and the November Sweeps.  I just
have more fun in those two contests.  I know that this isn't really a
contest, but Field Day is an event I look forward to all year.  A bunch of
us have gotten together for 5 years running and have had more fun at field
day than you can imagine.  One of our SECC members, WB4SQ Gary participated
last year. Just ask him!

5.  What is your current station line up? Rigs, antennas, etc.

Yaesu FT-920, as of last week I have my KT-34 up at 55 feet on a self
supporting aluminum tower, Slopers on 40 and 80.  No amp yet but I'm wired
for it!

6. Besides radio, what do you do for fun?

My XYL and I Square Dance at least once a week with the Kennesaw Square
Dealers (http://www.squaredealers.com), play around with keeping the website
updated, make an effort at keeping the "honey-do" list current ( "Be right,
or be happy").  I also really enjoy working in my yard.

7.  What do you do for a living?

I'm a Field Systems Engineer for Siemens.  I maintain, upgrade, and
commission Distributed Control Systems in manufacturing plants.  My prime
area of focus is on the communications between the controllers and the
servers/workstations.  I do take care of some great accounts, like Jack
Daniels Distillery, Bacardi Rum in San Juan, Atlantic Methanol Production in
Malabo,3C1, and Modec's FPSO off the coast of Vung Tao, 3W.

8.  What improvements do you plan to make to your station before the CQ WW
SSB contest in Oct 2004?

Improve the station grounds, hopefully find an amplifier, and install rotor
control interfaced to my computer.

9.  How long have you been licensed?

Since 1992, 12 years.

10.  What part of the hobby do you like the least?

The Net Nazi's that think that they "Own" a frequency, and intentionally
interfere.

73 de Roger
KN6RO