[SECC] Questionnaire

Adam S Hoffman AF4QZ af4qz at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 6 11:02:01 EDT 2004

1.  What got you interested in ham Radio?

A trip to Thailand in 1998. I just happened to go by a local radio club's station, and saw them talking back to guys in the United States. I decided right then when I got home, I would begin studying.

2.  What is your favorite mode and why?

I like CW, although my sending skills are sometime below par, copying has never been difficult for me. CW is just fun, I get a kick out of it every time I fire up the rig.

3. What got you interested in contesting?

Just listening to contests. Up until early last year, I never seriously got involved in contesting, just listened to the them in amazement. A buddy of mine, KE9R, talked me into doing NAQP SSB with a group of his in August 2003, and we placed 8 in the US...been hooked ever since.

4. What is your favorite contest and why?

I have to go back to my first contest, NAQP. It's a fun, short contest, and it's great to have all the runs to the west coast.

5.  What is your current station line up? Rigs, antennas, etc.

I run a Kenwood 570D(G) and Icom 746, I also have other rigs, but they rarely get used. For antenna system, I have a Force 12 C3 at 70 feet and Mosley Pro 67B at 100 feet. I also have dipoles for 160, 80, 40, and 30. No amp, I'm a 100 watt kind of guy.

6. Besides radio, what do you do for fun?

I'm a senior in college, majoring in Biology, so the research that I do in the lab is fun (DNA synthesis and recombination). I also enjoy reading (John Steinbeck is the best!!).

7.  What do you do for a living?

College student full time...LAST YEAR WOO HOO!!

8.  What improvements do you plan to make to your station before the
CQ WW SSB contest in Oct 2004?

Nothing for now

9.  How long have you been licensed?

6 years in February

10.  What part of the hobby do you like the least?

The guys the excoriate the contesters. I heard some on 40 meters during the recent NAQP SSB. They were lamenting that the contesters only get on for 6 days a year and think they own the bands. I thought to myself, sure, we may get on 6 days a year, so doesn't that give you 359 days to do what you want......maybe I just don't get it.

73

Adam S. Hoffman, AF4QZ