[SECC] CA QSO Party; WA Salmon Run

Matt Lee, K4AQ Matt at HiWAAY.net
Wed Sep 8 03:06:40 EDT 2004

I certainly agree with Archie. (Only a handful of Georgia stns submit
logs.)

Here's my take, as a relatively-newbie, on the CQP and Salmon Run (bonus
comments, hi):

I really enjoy operating the Washington State Salmon Run (QSO Party),
http://www.wwdxc.org/salmonrun/, and the California QSO Party,
http://www.cqp.org.

My main purpose for operating QSO parties is to improve on my
point-to-point communications skill. Most contests involve the scatter
gun approach; QSO parties require sustained point-to-point
communications.

The 2002 Salmon Run was one of my first QSO parties. It was also the
most challenging for me, distance-wise, from Georgia, while operating
QRP CW & SSB. Activity is above average and the operators are friendly,
especially when you work them during the wee hours of the morning when
rate slows down. Salmon Run mobiles, with their short antennas, add to
the challenge.

The Salmon Run is also a good tune-up for the CQP, a really biggie QSO
party. You have less than two weeks after the Salmon Run to fine-tune
your stn for the CQP.

   Washington State Salmon Run: 18-19 Sep 2004
   California QSO Party:        02-03 Oct 2004

Here is one thing that I really like about the Salmon Run: They award
PARTICIPATION CERTIFICATES. This is a great encouragement and motivator
for newbies who submit logs. At least you will get something in return
for your efforts. I hope that the Georgia QSO Party will do the same.

   (The Oklahoma QSO Party also award participation certificates.
http://www.okdxa.org/)

After my successful QRP DX cross-country experience in the Salmon Run, I
was ready to try the CQP 2002. WoW! What a first experience. The
constant round-the-clock activity was like a Field Day with NA Sprint
thrown in, hi.

Having lived in California for 20 years (moved to Huntsville, Alabama in
early 1987), it was neat to make contact with several former club
members and ARES members.

Newbies: If the early action in the CQP seem intimidating to you, just
hang in there and jump in during the late night and early morning hours
when the rate slows. Delaying your start time helps, too, when the bands
are loaded with strong sigs. Sometimes all it takes is a 30-45 minute
wait to let the Big Guns duke it out. Or look for stns near the edges of
the bands.

Non-Newbies: If you need a motivation to perk up that contesting spirit,
try QRP. Then add more to the challenge by using wire antennas. Or try a
new mode (CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK).

--
Matt Lee, K4AQ
Atlanta, GA USA