[SECC] Correction - Club Competition Rules

K4SB k4sb at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 8 14:33:10 EDT 2004

John Laney wrote:
> The 175 mile "circle" is thus much more important than I had given it
> credit for being.  Ed, K4SB, has done some work in the past on moving
> the circle.  I think there is probably a general consensus that we
> should try to move the top of the circle down so the circle includes all
> of North Ga, but as little of TN and NC as possible and see if we can
> still include all our SC members and see if we can include AL members
> such as K4WI and KS4YT/KV4T, and GA members such as KT4ZB and W4BQF.

The software for this is written, and is accurate to within 1/10000th
of a mile.

KS4YT/KV4T already are well within the circle as it presently stands.
( 166.0539 miles ) and will not be a factor in extending the circle to
the SE by a few miles since they are almost exactly due West of the
circle center. However, on a NE-SW path, W4OC is the controlling
factor with regard to K4WI. They live exactly 12.0123 miles too close
to each other. Even moving the circle so that W4OC is exactly at 175
miles, still leaves a 6+ mile gap with Cort. Someone has to move.

As far as other members go, the problem is that in spite of repeated
requests, I DO NOT have a full roster of the SECC, not even an old
one. Now, it's easy enough to input the data for KT4ZB and W4BQF. But
who is then being left out? And if a realignment is done, based on the
above, it could well move a member outside the circle. I believe it is
written in stone that no member presently in the circle who has
fulfilled his "obligations" with respect to score submission may be
removed.

Here, some problems may be solved by removing some of the ones who do
not participate.
And I wonder what the legality would be if the circle was shifted on a
contest by contest basis? Let's say that W4OC will not participate in
the ARRL CW SS ( in which case, I will kill him!! ):> ) Would it then
be legal and/or possible to shift the center of the circle some xx
number of  miles to the SE, thus picking up K4WI, while retaining
everyone else. I see no reason this could not be done, but again, it
would in all likelihood require an amendment to the C&BLs. And of
course, the controlling factor would have to be an email from W4OC
stating that he will not participate in a particular ARRL test. Keep
in mind that ONLY the ARRL tests have the 175 mile limit. And the same
may be true in picking up some of our SC members.

Again, the software is written and it has been tested thoroughly.( a
point directly N of the Equator at the same longitude must be a factor
only of the difference in Latitude, corrected for shortening ) ( the
equation is similar in Longitude since we are in a relatively small
difference in Latitude ) But I simple must have a full membership
roster.

I have also considered the idea of suggesting the Club petition the
ARRL to restructure their definition of the circle. To group a Club
defined as "medium" with a club whose 175 mile circle may very well
encompass several States, is in my opinion biased.

Anyway, that's the way it is now. BTW, I really have enjoyed reading
the "histories" submitted. Who ever came up with that idea deserves
100 "attaboys".

73
Ed