[SECC] ARRL 175-mi contest circle for SECC

K4SB k4sb at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 9 11:20:38 EDT 2004

In my work I have always used the data from the Buckmaster CDROM. I
wrote a VB6 program which can decode the entire database into a text
file, and from that file, I can extract
any bit of information which you would normally see if you had the
program on your hard drive and entered a callsign.

I also borrowed a GPS for a day or so, and compared my co-ordinates as
shown on Buck with the GPS. After walking around the yard for a little
while, I found 1 spot which agreed to 3 decimals places. Some of you
old timers will remember Carol and Steve Schrader. Steve, at one time
was 1/2 owner in Buckmaster, and I seem to remember his telling me
they purchased the data from satellite data gathered for the US
government.

Gordon mentioned that it looked like the map could be moved South a
little. Even a slight movement in that direction would begin knocking
off AL members around Huntsville.
Although I have a stong suspicion they probably do not give us their
scores.

In a previous post, I mentioned some members thought to be outside the
circle were indeed inside. I just checked my program, and discovered
those results were from my shifting the circle due West a few miles,
so the remarks were inaccurate.

Guess this will be a work in progress.

73
Ed