[SECC] W4AN on CQ cover

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 21 22:33:19 EDT 2004

The note from Lee reminds me to make a plea to support CQ Magazine and CQ
Communications.
Unlike ARRL with paid contest support, CQ provides the space for all their
contests in the Magazine, provides space on their web page to announce all
the contests, and in some cases puts the claimed scores on the web page.
Now the past CQ WW results are being posted.

Dick K2MGA (the Publisher) is a big contest supporter.  Long suffering Gail
K2RED got her ham license and has been to A61AJ and both enter the CQ WW and
WPX contests.  Bob Cox K3EST is the Contest Director as well as the Director
of the CQ WW.  Bob has put together a great team for the CQ WW that also
supports the CQ 160 and CQ WPX.   The CQ WW is the worlds biggest contest
and the WPX has grown from the old SSBARA SSB Contest to a large contests on
both SSB and now CW.  They support a popular RTTY and VHF contest.  The CQ
160 started as a little
contest with less than 60 entries.  In 1981 Don, N4IN added the SSB section.
In 2004, the CW section had grown to the same size (1300+ entries) as the
ARRL SS.  The SSB section has grown to 650 entries and several contestants
worked 89 countries on CW and 70+ on SSB.  Dick and Bob even tried a Contest
magazine for a couple of years.  And this with contesting only appealing to
8% of active amateurs. (ARRL USA survey)

If CQ did not exist these contests would disappear or scramble to get
support.

If you really support contests a subscription to CQ really helps.  At least
buy a copy from time to time.

Sorry for the bandwidth but they deserve our support.

73 Dave K4JRB

From: "Lee Hiers" <aa4ga at contesting.com>
Subject: [SECC] W4AN on CQ cover