[SECC] Bandwidth proposal

Dan/W4NTI w4nti at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 14 20:51:55 EDT 2005

Below are comments from the South East Contest Club reflector.  Written by K4SB.

I find his arguement very compelling.   In particular the part of automatic control.

Additionally I want to say that I beleive a specific segement of CW only should
and MUST be applied.   I suggest the bottom 20 Khz of ALL HF BANDS,  this to
include 160 meters and the so-called WARC bands. Open to ALL those licensed
for HF.  There is NO need for a Extra class ONLY segement for CW.
And based on the 5wpm code requirement I doubt the new Extras will be too
concerned about a CW EXTRA ONLY segement.

I believe if there is no restricted segment for CW you will find the digital modes
of under 200 cycle width taking over and running CW off the bands for good.
Attended or otherwise.

Not completely on subject....I feel CW should be continued in Amateur Radio, and
by allowing ALL HF licensees to use it in the same place, it could indeed help
in keeping the mode alive.

Daniel L. Jeswald    W4NTI
ARRL Life Member

My own suggestion is to demand that the proposed petition be changed
so that ALL unattended or automatic operations are ONLY allowed in
areas where transmissions over 500 Hz are allowed.

It is important to realize that significance of the 200 Hz, 500 Hz,
and 3000 Hz thresholds  is that no signals wider than the threshold
are allowed higher than the threshold frequency, but that signals more
narrow than the threshold are still allowed wherever the  wider
signals are allowed.

In practical terms, this means that Winlink could still use Pactor-II
(500 Hz wide) where Pactor-III (2400 Hz wide) is used during the time
Winlink was transitioning from Pactor-II to Pactor-III and SCAMP.

Disallowing unattended transmissions, where either end of the link is
unattended, would
eliminate the QRM from Pactor mailboxes to CW, PSK31, RTTY, MFSK16,
and other digital
modes, that is currently such a problem, without harming Winlink's
ability to handle their 150,000 emails for their currently 0.7% of the
US hams.