[SECC] Field Day and W4AN

K4SB k4sb at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 20 12:03:31 EDT 2005

ku8e at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Guys...
>   We need to slow down and think about the use of the club call. We need to remember that we have a callsign of a very respected contester. (on a worldwide scale) as our club call.  A request to use the call should not be as simple a just asking for it and first come - first serve....

> Maybe there should be a rule that you can't request the club call until a week or so before the event you want to use it for.  The request should be approved by the officers as well as a trustee of the call as a worthly event to put the W4AN callsign on the air.
----------------
K4SB
By FCC regulations, NO individual except the Trustee may authorize use
of the call.
--------------
W8JI and others worked hard to get the call in the first place and we
shouldn't just hand it out for just because someone asked for it. I
think "club activities" (for example a club FD) should take precedence
over all requests. To use the club call for a GOTO station in FD (or
the SP DX contest) just doesn't cut it. That would be a disrespect to
the memory of Bill. I would like us to limit the use of the call to
operate the type of events that Bill liked - for example - A major CW
contest like -  ARRL/CQ CW DX contest, CW Sprint, SS CW or NAQP. The
GQP is OK as well since SECC is the major sponsor.
--------
K4SB

In some respects, I disagree with Jeff here. The Club call should be
available to any
full member, regardless of the operating event, subject to certain
major contests. And it certain does not show disrespect for the memory
of Bill. I agree that major events should receive priority, but to
limit them to Bill's preferences is too much.
________

Again, your comments are solicited. I hope to publish the proposed set
of rules in the next couple of days. As they will be an addition to
the By-Laws, a vote will be necessary to adopt them.

73
Ed