[SECC] NAQP CW N4GG Single Op LP

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Sun Aug 7 09:01:13 EDT 2005

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N4GG
Operator(s): N4GG
Station: N4GG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: USA
Operating Time (hrs): 7.0

  160:    4     3
   80:   61    25
   40:  207    46
   20:   84    29
   15:   14     8
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  370   111  Total Score = 41,070

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

After 6 weeks of furniture shopping and drape hanging at the new QTH, I
decided I had earned a little contest time.  I decided this 30 miutes
before the start.  Set up my FT-857 travel rig, versa tuner, notebook
computer and W9XT keyer and was ready at the start, um, except for the
'no antenna' problem.  Hung a random sloping wire from the top of a tree
and used wire-nuts to splice in some RG-8X, which did not reach the
shack.  Used wire-nuts to splice in some RG-213 followed by RG-6.  Took
a shower, opened an 807 and started operating three hours into the
contest.  Bands sounded okay, nil on 28, had trouble being heard on 21.
Nobody could hear me on 1.8, but the wire was only 40 feet long.  Sure
missed the big-iron station, SO2R and some decent antennas - even if the
old ones were wire, they did work.  Went to bed at midnight in the
middle of a thunderstorm.

Station should be QRU for real in time for SS.  New QTH sounds very
quiet, but maybe all the noise was left behind in those wire-nuts?

Heard quite a few SECCers...
73
Hal