[SECC] ARRL 160

k4sb@bellsouth.net k4sb at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 5 00:17:37 EST 2005

John Vickers wrote:
> Ant: 1/4 wave marconi
> Tuned the band a few times during the weekend S&P. Heard several SECC
> members. Operated from the line noise capital of Ga, so the RX was
> very  poor. The local power co-op has been very helpful-

One other thing that most people overlook is the noise coming from the
AM broadcast band. I have an ICE high (low?) pass filter which will
drop a 40/9 AM signal into the mud when it is switched in. Switch it
in while listening in the actual 160 meter band and you both hear and
see a dramatic reduction in the noise floor. Of course, you can't
transmit through the filter, but rigs are easily modified to  switch it
in on Receive only.

Don't know if they still make it or not. Mine is about 20 years old and
as good as the day it was made.

73
Ed