[SECC] Times for the GQP

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Wed Dec 7 09:09:50 EST 2005

I can tell you the history of the times for the GQP, but not a good
reason for them.  The GQP rules when the contest was rejuvenated in 1999
were take from the recently rejuvenated and very successful Fla QSO
Party rules.  We took their times.  They have since changed some of
their rules, but not maybe the times.  I think the later start on Sat
was to allow for some work on that day and to allow for preparation of
the mobiles and transport to their start points.  They moved their start
time on Sunday earlier than it had been to allow for more DX contacts.
Now, with the bad conditions in the mornings for DX on 15 and 20 and no
conditions on 10, it doesn't help much to start that early.  But, if
there are to be any DX contacts on 15, the contest needs to start that
early.  The past few years the first few hours on Sunday have been
unproductive for most of us.

Anyway, the answer is that we took the FQP hours and adopted them
without rethinking.  I'd favor an earlier start on Saturday to give us
DX QSOs possible and a later start on Sunday to allow for church.
However, I'd not like the see the ending time extended on Sunday.  It
ends pretty late as it is and the mobiles and the operators need to get
back home and be ready for work Monday.  Maybe if we wanted to keep the
20 hour total time period, we could start two or three hours earlier on
Saturday and the same time later on Sunday?

BTW, it might be helpful for someone to get Paul, N4PN, in on the
conversation.  He is a big supporter of GQP and one of the more
enthusiastic contesters in GA right now.  He is a member of SECC and
SEDXC, but I don't think he subscribes to either reflector.  His e-mail
address is n4pn at conx.net.

73,

John, K4BAI.