[SECC] K4BAI Claimed Score, NCCC Practice NA Sprint 12/30

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 30 11:41:45 EST 2005

See below.  Also got both 40 M QRP Foxes (K7TQ and N0IT).  Have a good
weekend and New Year.  73, John, K4BAI.

                     NCCC Thursday Sprint (12-30)

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

   160:   0        0
    80:  23
    40:  20
    20:   0        0
---------------------
Total:  43     Mults = 11  Total Score = 473

FT1000MP x 2 (SO2R), zepp, dipole, inverted vee.  Good to have W1AF QRV
for the
first time.  Thanks for all the QSOs.

It might be a good time to remind everyone that it is good operating
practice
and good courtesy to acknowledge the other station's exchange.  If you
fail to
do that in the real NA Sprint, you will find a bunch of Not in Logs as a
result.
  One station I worked about 4 times last time NEVER acknoweldged my
exchange,
even when I asked QSL?  Obviously, he had already moved to another frequency
without bothering to send R or TU or even EE.  A lot of us (myself included)
will delete those QSOs from our NA Sprint Logs because we don't know
that the
other station copied or logged us.  Of course, I use full QSK all the
time and
I'd think I would have heard anything at all sent by the other guy, even
if he
jumped the gun and sent while I was sending my call at the end.  It happened
also with one other good SO2R operator, and I assume he just got busy on his
other band and couldn't get the timing right to drop in a TU at the end
of my
exchange.  In the real thing, that might have been deleted from my log also.

It is clear to me from the past two weeks that this contest is a 31 minute
activity for some of the top competitors.  I had thought it was 30
minutes and I
don't start a QSO or solicit a call after 0400.  However, I am hearing
several
top competitors starting right at 0330 and sending CQs and making QSOs
right up
until 0401 and then, of course, finishing the QSOs they start at
0400:55.  It
doesn't matter in these practice sessions, but we are practicing for the
real
thing and no one should start a QSO or solicit a call after 0400.  I say
this
knowing that the station(s) I am mentioning started right at 0330 because I
heard them then too.  My problem in the real NA Sprint is usually that
the rate
has slowed so much that I have difficulty in making any contacts in the last
three to five minutes in most NA Sprints.  Sure would be nice to have to
worry
about not "rubber clocking" then.

Hope everyone has a good week.  I'll see you in the NAQP Practice
Session next
week.  Maybe that will turn out a few more than we have been turning out
recently.

I think the TN boys (W4NZ, K1GU, K0EJ, N4ZZ) showed this week what an
advantage
it can be to have a bunch of locals on when the dupe rule allows multiple
contacts.  If I could get a bunch of GA/AL guys on, I could really get
in some
good practice and make more contacts.

73,

John, K4BAI.