[SECC] K4OGG ARRL-DX CW

Jay Pryor jpryor at uga.edu
Mon Feb 21 10:37:24 EST 2005

This score is embarrassing.  I have a noise generator somewhere in my
neighborhood in the southeast direction from my house that put a buzzing
sound on all the bands off and on throughout the weekend.  It was
particularly problematic on 20 and 40M.  Those QSO totals are nowhere near
what they should be.  This is my lowest score in this contest since 1998.

Nevertheless the weekend did have its bright spots.  I don't know if there
is an easy way for TRLog to tell me how many six-band QSOs I had but I am
confident I had more this weekend than I have ever had in the past.  Some
that I know of are PJ4R (thanks Jeff and Hal!), PJ2T, CU2M, HI3TEJ, 9Y4W
and 8P5A.  I am most pleased with my 160M numbers.  It turned out that the
phased beverage I put out for 40M is terrible on 40, but it works fantastic
on 160 and 80.  I guess I'll take that tradeoff.  I loved 15M on Sunday
morning.  It was very quiet and the EU stations just kept coming.

Looks like I was spotted four times over the weekend and three times the
jump in my rate was significant enough that I mentioned it in notes to
myself made in my log.

Because of the noise I kept getting frustrated and took many more breaks
than I normally would.  Something like 35 hours total operating time.

Anyway here's the breakdown:

    BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

   160CW       23          23         69        19
    80CW       75          75        225        44
    40CW      141         139        417        56
    20CW      315         312        936        65
    15CW      530         523       1569        69
    10CW       35          35        105        24

  Totals     1119        1107       3321       277

     Final Score = 919917 points.

73,

Jay, K4OGG