[SECC] Station Improvements

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Jan 6 07:58:09 EST 2005

On Jan 5, 2005, at 5:35 AM, Daniel L. Jeswald wrote:

> Good show Bill.  Those radials will make a difference.

Couldn't believe it. Last night, I busted a pileup on PZ5RA on 75m
phone, calling when he turned it back to USA/Canada. And this with just
100 watts.

Maybe it's not the antenna, maybe I just have good timing....

> Which means the tower and beam will be going up reasonably soon.  So
> will finally be off the wires.
>
> Just putting up a TA-33SR to start with.

I spent 7 years at this QTH on a vertical and wires before I got the
tower up. I'm just amazed at the difference it makes to have even a
small tribander. It's a bigger shift to go from a vertical to a
tribander at 50 feet than it is to go from the tribander to a station
like NQ4I's.

Although N4LR manages to do a great job with just wires. I think Gordon
has some tall trees to work with.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901