[SECC] Poor Operating? nawwwwww

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sun Jan 30 20:49:11 EST 2005

On Jan 14, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Daniel L. Jeswald wrote:

> CW has been crunched into the bottom 40 kc/s for a decade now.  And
> with the advent of massive RTTY signals it is now down to 30 or less.
> Don't believe me?  Listen to the low end ANYTIME.  You will hear
> RTTY/digital as low as the very bottom of the CW segement in the Extra
> sub-band.

The main problem on 40m is that Regions 1 and 3 only have 100 kHz of
band. Since most countries typically allocate half the band to SSB, The
RTTY and CW guys have to share the bottom half. That doesn't leave
much.

Things ought to improve by 2009, when Regions 1 and 3 will have 200 kHz
of band, and the broadcasters are moved elsewhere. That should relax
the pressure on the lower 50 kHz of 40m.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901