[SECC] K4TD ARRL DX SSB SOAB(A) HP Results

Rick Walker rnwalker at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 7 00:57:46 EST 2005

ARRLDXSSB Score Summary Sheet

         CallSign : K4TD

     Operator(s) : K4TD

             Band : ALL

            Power : HIGH

             Mode : SINGLE-OP-ASSISTED ALL HIGH SSB

 ARRL Section : AL

      Club/Team : South East Contest Club

             Score : 1,052,334

Operating Time : 33.75 hours

        Band    QSOs    Pts  Cty

               3.5      81    243   50

                 7     151    453   76

               14     362   1086   99

               21     261    783  100

               28     114    342   37

            Total     969  2907  362

           Score : 1,052,334

Note:  All QSOs generated using only S&P technique with no voice keyer

Equipment:  Ten-tec Orion & Alpha 87a

Comments:

This was the second contest weekend for my new station.  It appears to be
working okay.  My results were not as good as I turned in for the CW test,
but they are not too awfully bad for S&P only.

I've added a second Orion to go with the Henry 3KD Premier I got from NQ4I.
I've yet to get this second station actually on the air, but I'm slowly
working toward SO2R capability.

I worked out an S&P workflow that enabled me to stay on top of the packet
spots and get to new multipliers fairly quickly.  As a consequence, I seemed
to have found myself constantly going head-to-head with the multiplier ops
at KC1XX, K1RX, K3LR and W3LPL.  My recollection is that I beat them to the
punch a few times, but those boys are good.  My most memorable moment(s)
were on 75M this morning around 1100Z.  On two separate instances I got to
go against K1TTT and KC1XX (respectively) each time competing for a
different JA station.  I made it through on one call, they had to make
multiple calls.  I got to bask in the glory until later in the morning on
20M when they "took me behind the woodshed and gave me a good spanking" on
several European pile-ups.  Is it my imagination or do those guys in 1-land
have a fiber-optic link to EU?

I'm tempted to make a comment about the "split" operation on 80M and 40M,
but I'm sure it's all been said many times by now.  I hope that sometime
before I become an SK something is done to resolve this situation.  It would
be nice if it were timely enough for me to actually enjoy it.

I ran into my neighbor Tom (N4KG), whom I've never met, in a pile-up on 15
meters.  I managed to get him my phone number.  I hope to  meet him soon.  I
don't know if he is a member of any other contest group.  If not, I'd like
to try to recruit him into the SECC.

In closing, let me say that I'm a CW guy at heart, and I don't really enjoy
Phone.  If ham radio and contesting were limited to Phone, I'd probably give
up and collect coins or stamps.  (I'm glad I got that off my chest).

--.  .--

Rick

K4TD