[SECC] N4NX - ARRL DX SSB SOAB LP

Bill Barr billn4nx at alltel.net
Mon Mar 7 13:33:18 EST 2005

                   ARRL DX Contest, SSB
Call: N4NX

Class: SO ALL LOW
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): approx 24
   160:    1       1
    80:    33    28
    40:    74    54
    20:  197    91
    15:  135    75
    10:    61    27
-------------------
Total:  501     276          Total Score = 414,828

Club: South East Contest Club

Equipment:
FT1000MP
Shunt fed tower - 160 M ( no Beverages )
Dipole - 80M ( up about 40' )
Cushcraft 2 element beam - 40M ( up about 85' )
KT34XA - 10,15 & 20M ( up about 70' )

Comments:  Only got in about 2 hours first night because had a great dinner and good wine ( More than one glass ).  I learned that good wine during a contest = sleep + lower score!  My biggest and only run was for 3 Qs.  Low power and SSB don't do much on SSB for frequency control or attracting attention.  All other Qs were search and pounce.  Heard stuff on 80 and 160 that couldn't hear me.  I worked PJ2T on all six bands ( they were my only 160m QSO).  Worked TE2M and others on 5 bands. Set a goal of 500 Qs and 400,000 points and made it in spite of the wine.  Quit when I went over the 500 Q mark.  I need to spend more time chasing Qs vs. Mults.-------------------- Most importantly had fun!