[SECC] Fwd: SS SSB AA4LR Single Op LP

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Nov 24 22:30:43 EST 2005

Cushcraft A3S/A743 @ 15m (10-40m)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80m)
Cushcraft R7000 @ 2m (40m)

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 w/ KAT100
Kenwood TS-430S w/ AT-250
K1KP-style voice keyer (1 message)

Comments:

Well, this did not come off as planned. I had been pumped for a
couple of weeks looking forward to SS Phone and a chance to exceed my
personal best, and maybe, possibly make a run at the GA LP SS Phone
record.

First hour went pretty well with 77 Qs on 20m. Then the button fell
out of 20m. Hopped to 40m, but just couldn't get anything going. A
quick run through 15m S & P went well, but by 0100z, I was down on
40m and 80m making little headway. It got worse as 40m closed down
leaving just 80m.

By 0300z, I'm already feeling tired. At 0550z, I decide to make this
a part-time effort. I had to get up early in the morning and go to
Church to see my eldest Confirmed. It was going to take a chunk out
of my operating time, but I just couldn't face five more hours
slogging it out on 80m at low rates S & P. Funny, three weeks before
I had stayed up two nights operating 40m at NQ4I.

So, hit the sack, went to Church and was on and off Sunday afternoon.
I shut down at 2300z. By 0100z I went to bed. It was odd, though, as
my hands and feet were very cold even under two blankets. Makes me
wonder if I was coming down with something.

Score isn't terribly bad for part-time. Missed NL, NT, and PAC - the
three farthest sections from GA. Never heard any stations from NL or
PAC. Heard VY1MB on 20m late afternoon on Sunday with a massive
pileup. I came back to his frequency a couple of times, waiting for
propagation to lengthen out my way. After about 40 minutes, he was
gone -- probably chased off by the pileup.

Kudos to KD3GC who turned in a pretty good score just about a mile
and a half away from here. Mark, you beat me fair and square. Also to
N4PN, who set a new GA LP SS Phone record. Great job, Paul.

Posted using 3830 Score Submittal Forms at: http://www.hornucopia.com/
3830score/

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901