[SECC] N1MM Software

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Fri Nov 25 10:52:17 EST 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Macie, Gordon wrote:

> I just did a quick search on my old reflector emails. I remember
> about a year ago taking a survey and we only had 1 N1MM user, AE4Y.
> Hence, Our "EXPERT".. I now see KU8E, K4SAV, AA4GA and myself
> experimenting. Any comments ??...

I used it at N4N for Field Day.

On my wimy Windows laptop, it had a few problems. First, laptop's
only 800x600. N1MM assumes you have a monster screen and opens up a
zillion windows, some of which it positions off the edge of the
screen. Second, N1MM assumes you have computer control. Computer
control is nice, but shouldn't be required. Third, it was very hard
to configure. There were a zillion options, many of them buried in
sub-windows that were hard to find. Forth, at the N4N field day site,
the networking tended to hang my laptop about every half hour, and I
had to restart the program. The hang was random, so it might do it
twice in 2 minutes, then nothing for an hour.

I considered using N1MM for SS, but decided to go with the more
practiced CQPWin instead. I'm currently working on contest logging
software for MacOS X, so perhaps I can get rid of the Windows
machines altogether.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901