[SECC] Claimed Score, K4TD, CQWW CW - 2005

Lee Hiers lee.hiers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 09:27:29 EST 2005

On 11/28/05, Rick Walker <rnwalker at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I don't normally say too much in these emails, but I feel like I need to
> make one comment.  I was appalled at the operating habits of some of the
> contesters that I listened to in the pileups.  In most of the pileups I
> noticed that the operators would repeatedly send their calls over and over
> sometimes even while the DX station was transmitting.

There did seem to be more of than than usual this time around...could
be I noticed it more because of being all S&P.  I think a lot of it is
due to the spotting network.  A juicy mult is posted, many people
call...including those who obviously can't hear.  The ones that really
get to me are the ones who blatantly keep calling when the DX station
comes back to K4TD, in the clear, and their call is something like
W9XYZ.

> On a completely different note, I spent some time listening to 40 meter
> pileups being run by NQ4I (and K4XS).  At times they were working EU
> stations that I couldn't even hear on my 4 element yagi at 140 feet.

I feel better then that I couldn't hear a lot of them with my 2 el. at
70 feet!  I am wondering if I need a vertical (array?) for the longer
haul stuff.

Lee
--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA