[SECC] Pileup behavior

Jay Pryor jpryor at uga.edu
Tue Nov 29 13:55:31 EST 2005

I thought this was interesting, from TN neighbor Kirk K4RO, considering the
recent discussion on the SECC reflector.  This is a cut-and-paste from his
posting on 3830.  Kirk obviously heard the same thing many SECC folks heard.

There seemed to be an increase in the frequency of IDing,
but maybe I just got to the DX before the packet feeding
frenzy began. Some of the folks calling in pileups clearly
could not copy the DX at all. I wonder if they were calling
blind at a packet spot before even determining if they could
actually copy the station? I'm not intimidated by a raging
pileup, and will jump right in there myself and try my best
to crack through. What I don't understand is why anybody would
waste their time in a pileup if they can't even copy the DX?
How will they ever know if they made a QSO or not?

73,

Jay, K4OGG