[SECC] W4AN - CQ Contest Hall of Fame

ku8e@bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 7 10:00:18 EDT 2005

   Last year I made a motion that the SECC nominate W4AN for the CQ Contest Hall of Fame.
Problem is we missed the deadline, which is Jan 1st ,to get around to doing it.  I would like to
make a proposal that the SECC nominate Bill Fisher, W4AN as a candidate for nomination into
the 2006 CQ Contest Hall of Fame. I not sure if we want to vote on this or whatever. I would be
happy to write the nomination letter and I will make it available for everyone to review before
forwarding it on the the club president.

 The letter of nomination must be written on club stationary or submitted via internet under the signature of a club or national organization officer. The procedure can be found at
http://cqww.com/hof-history.html#nomination

The guidelines say :

"The nominee must have contributed on a broad basis to the sport of Contesting or DXing. Being very active in contests and DXing are only part of the pre-requisites. Since each person has unique qualifications it is difficult to specify what constitutes contributions on a broad basis. As a partial guideline to nominating clubs or national organizations, persons who have been inducted in the past into a Hall of Fame have contributed in some or all of the following ways: brought new people into the hobby, formed radio clubs, organized DX funding, written books or articles about the sport, unselfishly given their time to judge contests, acted in a leadership role to organize DXpeditions, pioneered the early developed of the sport or acted as an acknowledged role model for their sport.""

I think Bill would meet the criteria. In addition to being a world class contester we have him to thank
for the internet related tools we use to talk and report our contesting scores - i.e contesting.com
His company hosted (for free) the websites of many contesting clubs and websites such as eham.net, which we all take for granted. As far as his contesting skills, Bill will always be known as the first person to ever reach 400 QSO's in the NA CW Sprint - something that many said could not be
done. Even though Bill was one of the elite contesters he was still willing to help out and mentor other contesters. I'm sure many of you in the SECC can attest to that.

I am looking for feedback on how to proceed from the club. Also I will take any material that anyone might want to include in our nomination letter.  Thanks.

73, Jeff  KU8E